This is a collection of all the reasons one might be denied a life insurance policy, aggregated from various sources online (links to them below) as well as personal experience.
- High-risk medical conditions (including mental health)
- History of suicidal ideation or attempts
- Lifestyle choices (e.g. smoking)
- Dangerous hobbies
- Left something out or lied on the application
- Financial reasons (e.g. poor credit, high debt, and bankruptcy)
- Criminal record
- Positive drug test
- Driving record
In regards to the suicide one, it’s a common misunderstanding that life insurance policies don’t pay on suicides. I know at least some do, but not within a certain amount of time after getting it. It’s also listed it separate from mental health because it can be done for other reasons.
You can always get accidental death and dismemberment insurance. It can possibly cover homicide, but ask first and verify it in the policy. It can cover you if you’re killed in a car accident.